Re: [Lingo] Re: [tlug] Emergency nomikai August 17th?

On 04/08/07, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen@example.com> wrote:

> However, the Japanese also play puns as a blood sport.  These puns are
> not puns on similar sounds, they're puns on the kanji.

Yup.

The only joke I've ever made in Japanese that was met with more than a
polite chuckle was of this variety (and not surprising when you
consider the fact that rakugo[1] is basically nothing but comical
"misunderstandings" based on these sorts of puns):

内の妻:ジョシュの目がちょっと弱くなってきたので、眼鏡を買いに行かなくちゃね。
この俺様:そうだね。目がねぇ。
日本人の友達:はははははは

You could argue that my English humour is about on par with this level
of sophistication, and you might be right. ;)

Cheers,
Josh

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rakugo