Re: [Lingo] CJK Setup in Xandros (Debian 3.2)

On 7/16/07, Keith Bawden <keith@example.com> wrote:
On 7/16/07, Niels Kobschätzki <n.kobschaetzki@example.com> wrote:
> On 7/16/07, CL <az.4tlug@example.com> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> I suggest you ask that question on tlug@example.com (http://tlug.jp)
> because this list is for language (as in "let's speak, read and write
> it")-related topics, usually not technically oriented (as in "how do
> i…") and I guess on the tlug-list are more members than here.

I agree the lingo list is mainly for non-technical issues related to languages.

Having said that. Unfortunately for you Xandros has been famous for
not supporting languages other than English for as long as it has been
around[1]. Looks like German and French is now supported...

There is support of a sort for CJK from Xandros but it is something that happened fairly recently and only with the most recent releases.  Most of the available user support comes from the German language groups.  I grew up speaking German as my second language, but it has been a long time since I had to use it regularly.  Setting up Linux is a far cry from still being able to order a meal or ask street directions so I'd prefer to keep learning in English whenever I can.

I tried it out once back in 2003 or 04 (I won a copy at a conference).
After head butting xandros for over a week to try and get Japanese
input working I dumped it and have never looked back. Therefore my
knowledge on the subject may be very well out of date.

I had v.2.5 and now v.4.1.  They are completely different OSs.  I got tied up with them because I have been a WordPerfect user almost from the beginning and the Xandros started out as Corel Linux and Corel once owned WP.

I'm not telling you to dump Xandros, but I could guarantee you that
you would find more support and have more success with Debian, Gentoo,
Ubuntu, Suse, Redhat, Fedora... actually pretty much most other
Distributions I can think of :-)

The PC that Xandros runs on also has Debian 4.0 (KDE and Gnome desktops), Ubuntu, and Kubuntu.  The one thing different is that Xandros has fully supported Crossover Office (Wine), OpenOffice org., and a full desktop package included in the price.  For someone like me, who is coming off of almost 20 years of WIN and has a very specific work / business style, that level of support almost made sense.  Whether the price of that convenience comes out to be too high is something I have yet to determine, but CJK support is the closest thing to a deal breaker yet.

Thanks for your comments.

CL

Regards, Keith

[1] "Default system is not well localized. Xandros offers only 3
language alternatives: English, French and German. If you're not one
of them, you're out of lack." SOURCE:
http://polishlinux.org/choose/comparison?distro1=Xandros&distro2=Zenwalk