Mailing List Archive
tlug.jp Mailing List tlug archive tlug Mailing List Archive
[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Re: [Lingo] spaces in japanese writing
- Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2007 18:15:03 +0900
- From: "Josh Glover" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: [Lingo] spaces in japanese writing
- References: <468592FC.email@example.com> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
On 15/07/07, Jim Breen <firstname.lastname@example.org> wrote:
On 30/06/07, Josh Glover <email@example.com> wrote:
> They are a modern > addition to the language, ....
Well, not quite. Some years back I was working on a project analyzing texts printed in Japan (in Japanese) around 1600. Guess what - the phrases were usually indicated by having slightly greater spaces between them.
Very interesting; I had no idea.
Originally Greek and Latin were often written without spaces. They were a swine to read that way. Some Latin inscriptions have a "." above the first letter of each word as an aide to parsing.
Again, stuff I did not know but now do.
Thanks heaps (and heaps), Jim. :)
-- Cheers, Josh
- Re: [Lingo] spaces in japanese writing
- From: Jim Breen
Home | Main Index | Thread Index
- Prev by Date: Re: [Lingo] words with kanji in common
- Next by Date: Re: [Lingo] words with kanji in common
- Previous by thread: Re: [Lingo] spaces in japanese writing
- Next by thread: [Lingo] Archives should now handle 日本語、English, и Бьлгарски / Русский
Home Page Mailing List Linux and Japan TLUG Members Links