Re: [Lingo] spaces in japanese writing

On 02/07/07, steven smith <sjs@example.com> wrote:

But part of what I did get was that both of you recommended
"日本語基本文法辞典" and "日本語文法辞典―中級編", among
other books.

Yes, I consider these books an indispensable part of a serious student's bookshelf. Another excellent book along the same lines is:

http://www.amazon.com/Kodanshas-Effective-Japanese-Usage-Dictionary/dp/4770028504/ref=sr_1_2/103-2079390-0890216?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1183333968&sr=8-2

This book really helps out with deciding which nuanced or grammatical
form is the most appropriate; viz. 「ったら」 vs. 「だと」 vs. 「〜えば」 a few
mails back:

http://tlug.jp/MLlingo/0707/msg00000.html

I was surprised to find both of these on
Amazon.com as well as on Amazon.co.jp,

Well, they are targeted at English-speaking students of Japanese, so this is not too surprising.

but even more
surprised to find I could order them off of Amazon.co.jp and
have 'em shipped here for less than they cost from vendors
on Amazon.com -- in one case as a used book.

This *does* surprise me!

Anyway, both received really solid reviews on Amazon as well
as from you guys.  Hopefully some day I'll actually get the
time to use 'em.

Both books are great in that you can just open to a random page and read an entry here or there while you are waiting in line at the post office, riding the bus two stops, waiting for an especially long red light, etc. Random access is supported by the kernel. ;)

--
Cheers,
Josh