Re: tlug: Gnome virtual desktops

On Sat, 4 Dec 1999, Dennis McMurchy wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Nov 1999, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
>
> > Using Netscape with Java and Javascript turned on (which is
> > the default of course :-/  just calls for trouble.  So
> > switch it off.
>
>   Why on earth didn't I think of that?  Thanks for the tip. Done.
>
> > If your are using Enlightenment, upgrade to E 0.16, but
> > anyway, E is in _deep_ beta - so, WindowMaker, as Scott
> > suggests, is much more stable.
>
>   I didn't realize that Enlightenment was even a beta version.
> Why is it installed as the standard manager with RH6.0 then?
> Doesn't seem like a great choice, does it?

no.... but then again, WindowMaker is still beta too, officially.  I like
afterstep, which is out of beta, but it's not fully gnome-compliant.  It
works, though, so I see no reason why it's a *bad* choice...

>   Let me append a quick non-strictly-Linux-related hardware question,
> if I may.  I have what I thought was a pretty good 17" Eizo monitor
> (was Y 60,000 or so two years ago).  It seems to have developed a
> serious defect: a right-left rapid twitching of a few millimeters,
> that occurs sporadically, but is really maddening, of course.
> Is this repairable or am I looking at a new monitor?  And if so,
> what do you recommend - obviously another Eizo is out of the question.

Sounds like what happens when your power grid is overloaded and the
monitor isn't getting enough juice (ie, in July in Utah, this happens a
lot since everyone runs their air conditioning).  Since it's December now,
I'd say it's more likely that your monitor's power supply is going bad,
which is repairable [in the USA] for $100 or so USD.  Probably 6 times
that in Japan, but I don't know :)

As for good monitors, Viewsonic and Optiquest (which is actually made by
Viewsonic...) are both very nice.

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Systems (UNIX) and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)