tlug: Samba and kernel options

I am a newbie to Samba and have read the HOWTO-SMB and README files.
Before you say RTFM, I have some very basic questions.

The goal for me is to use the NT systems local printer, CD-R and scanner
devices. The SMB documents talk a lot about the Client and Server.
The source I have downloaded will create a smbd and nmbd.

1. Do I need anything running on the NT?

2. Do I need any special options in the kernel compile to be turned on?

Thank you in advance.

Subba Rao
subb3@example.com
http://pws.prserv.net/truemax/
http://www.smcinnovations.com
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)