Re: tlug: Samba and kernel options

On 4 Dec 1999 subb3@example.com wrote:

> I am a newbie to Samba and have read the HOWTO-SMB and README files.
> Before you say RTFM, I have some very basic questions.
>
> The goal for me is to use the NT systems local printer, CD-R and scanner
> devices. The SMB documents talk a lot about the Client and Server.
> The source I have downloaded will create a smbd and nmbd.

samba lets your linux box act as a server for windows clients.  To do the
other-way-around, you need the smb client stuff like smbfs and smbprint.
You won't be able to burn CDs on your CDR or use your scanner, though,
through SMB (if this is incorrect, please correct me, someone.. it'd be
cool if you *could* do that :) )

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Systems (UNIX) and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company

Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: January, 2000
* Topic: "glibc - current status and future developments"
* Guest Speaker: Ulrich Drepper (Cygnus Solutions)
* Place: Oracle Japan HQ 12F Seminar Room (New Otani Garden Court)