Re: tlug: Caldera Japanese version (more comments)

On 18 Nov 1999, Jens-Ulrik Petersen wrote:

> Mike Fabian <mike.fabian@example.com> writes:
>
> > "Scott M. Stone" <sstone@example.com> writes:
> >
> > > The thing that scares me is that my memory/swap usage never seems to
> > > go DOWN when I close apps.... well, a little bit.  but my swap usage
> > > almost NEVER goes down by more than 1 or 2 MB.

> The ``free'' figure printed by free doesn't include memory used as a
> disk buffer cache--shown in the ``buffers'' column. If you want to
> know how much memory is really free add the ``buffers'' amount to
> ``free''--newer versions of free print an extra line with this info.

yeah, I think most of us understand THIS part... but why does my computer
still report 41MB of swap used when it's got 45MB of RAM free and
virtually nothing running?  Or is it just putting off the garbage
collection until such time as it actually *really* needs the swap (making
this a, "I wish Linux would report its stats better" issue instead of a,
"Linux is leaking swap" issue :) )..

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Systems (UNIX) and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company