Re: tlug: Caldera Japanese version (more comments)

> yeah, I think most of us understand THIS part... but why does my computer
> still report 41MB of swap used when it's got 45MB of RAM free and
> virtually nothing running?  Or is it just putting off the garbage
> collection until such time as it actually *really* needs the swap (making
> this a, "I wish Linux would report its stats better" issue instead of a,
> "Linux is leaking swap" issue :) )..

Here it goes (Linux System Adm. Guide - Ch.5 Memory Management):

It's a good idea to have at least some swap space, even if your
calculations indicate that you need none. Linux uses swap space
somewhat aggressively, so that as much physical memory as possible can
be kept free. Linux will swap out memory pages that have not been used,
even if the memory is not yet needed for anything. This avoids waiting
for swapping when it is needed: the swapping can be done earlier, when
the disk is otherwise idle.

--
Dmytro

     _/  Dmytro Koval'ov, mailto:kov@example.com/

   _/   UNIX Systems Administration                 _/

The only justification for our concepts and systems of concepts is that
they
serve to represent the complex of our experiences; beyond this they have
no legitimacy.
		-- Albert Einstein