Re: tlug: Caldera Japanese version (more comments)

On Thu, 18 Nov 1999, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     juhp> Mike Fabian <mike.fabian@example.com> writes:
>
>     >> mike@example.com ~$ free
>
>     >>      total  used   free shared buffers cached
>     >> Mem: 127952 123116 4836 33276  17352   22324
>
>     juhp> ie basically "memory used" as reported by `free` or `cat
>     juhp> /proc/meminfo` is a high water mark.
>
> ah, verrrry interrrresting.
>
> How 'bout that "shared" number?  Presumably libc.so never leaves (on
> Debian even init is dynamically linked!), but suppose you shut down all
> your X11 apps ... do libX11.so.6 et al get flushed from memory?  I
> assume they would (just keep a reference count), but I can imagine
> that things could get hosed if you're on a development system, and
> dynamic libs might not get flushed in case of say a program crash.
>
> That would account for Scott's eventual slows, maybe.

could be.  I'd like to see a program written[1] for Linux that would
automatically audit memory and swap and flush out any runaway libs, etc
that are in memory and shouldn't be...

[1] I don't have the specific skills or the free time.  I know, "don't
bitch, enrich"... but I'm feeling bitchy today :)

Scott M. Stone <sstone@example.com>
Systems (UNIX) and Network Engineer
Taos - The SysAdmin Company