Re: tlug: Caldera Japanese version (more comments)

    juhp> Mike Fabian <mike.fabian@example.com> writes:

    >> mike@example.com ~$ free

    >>      total  used   free shared buffers cached
    >> Mem: 127952 123116 4836 33276  17352   22324

    juhp> ie basically "memory used" as reported by `free` or `cat
    juhp> /proc/meminfo` is a high water mark.

ah, verrrry interrrresting.

How 'bout that "shared" number?  Presumably libc.so never leaves (on
Debian even init is dynamically linked!), but suppose you shut down all
your X11 apps ... do libX11.so.6 et al get flushed from memory?  I
assume they would (just keep a reference count), but I can imagine
that things could get hosed if you're on a development system, and
dynamic libs might not get flushed in case of say a program crash.

That would account for Scott's eventual slows, maybe.