Re: tlug: Gnome Problems

Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com> wrote,

>   I mentioned this problem a long time ago, and no one seemed to have
> anything much to say about it.  It just started happening again for
> no apparent reason that I can think of, so I'll mention it again.
>
>   I boot RH6.0 to a character login, login and then do 'startx' to
> start up the GUI.  This last step normally takes 15 or 20 seconds to
> complete.  But when this "problem" occurs, the GUI startup hangs for
> 30 seconds or so at several different stages, so that the whole
> process takes 3 or 4 minutes, which, of course, seems like an eternity.

I think to remember that this is a bug in Gnome 1.0 that has
to do with the window manager.  Anyway, I would recommend
updating to the Gnome distribution of RH6.1 (from any RH
mirror) or October Gnome from www.gnome.org.  Gnome 1.0
should actually have been called Gnome 0.9.  The new version
seems however to be solid - especially October Gnome.

Manuel
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691