Re: tlug: Gnome Problems

----- Original Message -----
From: Dennis McMurchy <denismcm@example.com>
To: Tokyo Lignux Abusers' Group <tlug@example.com>
Sent: November 4, 1999 3:15 AM
Subject: tlug: Gnome Problems

>   I mentioned this problem a long time ago, and no one seemed to have
> anything much to say about it.  It just started happening again for
> no apparent reason that I can think of, so I'll mention it again.
>
>   I boot RH6.0 to a character login, login and then do 'startx' to
> start up the GUI.  This last step normally takes 15 or 20 seconds to
> complete.  But when this "problem" occurs, the GUI startup hangs for
> 30 seconds or so at several different stages, so that the whole
> process takes 3 or 4 minutes, which, of course, seems like an eternity.

[SNIP]

    This sounds very much like a problem I had.  Are you running
Enlightenment?  I was using Gnome version 1.0.4? and Enlightenment 0.16.  I
solved the problem be upgrading Gnome to the current version, 1.0.53?  And
then the problem went away.

    I had Redhat start up X at startup so I haven't seem the error messages
you posted, so it might be a different problem.  But the slow start up and
the "log-out" not working are the same.

    Everything has worked great since then.

James

Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691