tlug: time

Greetings everyone,

The hardware clock in my laptop has an annoying habit of losing time from,
uh, time to time. I suspect that it has something to do with the quirky
power management, which occasionally causes it to turn off when in suspend
(Ahhh, the sound of fsck...Churn, little hard drive, churn...) but that's
not my question:

What I want to know is this:

How can one safely change the time of a running system?

Previous UNIX experience has led me to believe that this is a Bad Thing.

I'm sure there's a way, but I haven't been able to find it.

# date -s  # seems like a bad idea

using hwclock to set the time and then #hwclock --utc --hctosys
seems like a better idea, but I'm still not sure if this is safe.

Any comments or suggestions (besides buying a new laptop)?

thanks
john
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai: December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691