tlug: Re: libwcsmbs

I installed a libwcsmbs package off the linux.or.jp ftp server and it
killed my system.  On boot it (init?) would lock up saying something
about an undefined variable related to libwcsmbs.  This may portray my
lack of experience in the shared library portion of linux, but as many
times as I tried to use the rescue disk to go in and remove the libwcsmbs
files from /lib, /usr/lib, and some X11R6/lib directory, it popped up
again and I ended up reinstalling RH6.0

I am baffoozled.  Any help?

Eric

On Sun, 26 Sep 1999, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 23:00:19 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Matt Gushee <mgushee@example.com>
> Subject: Re: tlug: Japanese versions of software
>
> Eric Standlee writes:
>  > I am coming up against a missing library in the rpm -Uv for freetype and
>  > its tools:
>  >
>  > freetype-1.2-2.i386.rpm
>  > error: failed dependencies:
>  > 	libwcsmbs.so.0 is needed by freetype-1.2-2
>  > freetype-tools-1.2-2.i386.rpm
>  > error: failed dependencies:
>  > 	libwcsmbs.so.0 is needed by freetype-tools-1.2-2
>  > rhs-printfilters-1.46jp-3.i386.rpm
>  > error: failed dependencies:
>  > 	libwcsmbs.so.0 is needed by rhs-printfilters-1.46jp-3
>  > 	rhs-printfilters >= 1.50 is needed by printtool-3.40-3
>
> Hi, Eric--
>
> You and I seem to be having a lot of the same problems these days. I
> just ran into the libwcsmbs dependency while trying to install
> VFlib. I found there's a libwcsmbs package in the redhat-jp
> distribution. You may want to install the wcsmbs-locale package, too.
>
> Now, does anybody know what package provides 'DynalabFont'? VFlib
> needs that, too. I went ahead and installed it with --nodeps, but I'm
> not comfortable with that, being rather finicky about font stuff.
>
> Matt Gushee
> Portland, Maine, USA

Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691