tlug: Re: libwcsmbs

Eric S. Standlee writes:
 > I installed a libwcsmbs package off the linux.or.jp ftp server and it
 > killed my system.  On boot it (init?) would lock up saying something
 > about an undefined variable related to libwcsmbs.  This may portray my
 > lack of experience in the shared library portion of linux, but as many
 > times as I tried to use the rescue disk to go in and remove the libwcsmbs
 > files from /lib, /usr/lib, and some X11R6/lib directory, it popped up
 > again and I ended up reinstalling RH6.0

I had the same problem. I found a solution (after about an hour of
trying). In my system (Suse 6.2) it seems that mmv is statically
linked, so I could move the file /etc/ldso.preload and the libs in
/lib, after that everything worked again. A good thing that I didn't reboot.

Marcus

Dr. Marcus Metzler
ZPR/ZAIK
Universitaet zu Koeln              Tel.   : +49 221 470 6010
Weyertal 80                        Fax    : +49 221 470 5160
D-50931 Koeln, Germany             e-mail : mocm@example.com

Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:30   place: Temple Univ.
* Linux Internationalisation Initiative (Li18nux) speaker: Akio Kido
* Japanese TrueType Fonts                     speaker: Adrian Havill
Next Technical Meeting: November 13 (Sat), 13:30 place: Temple Univ.
* Network Security                               speaker: Steve Baur
Next Nomikai:  December 17 (Fri), 19:00 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691