Re: tlug: ISDN Access

Darren Cook (darren@example.com) wrote:

> Where did you get the 20 people figure from? I've heard 24 (from DION, an

>From someone I knew who was an OCN customer.  The number of people they
put on the line is completely up to the carrier.  DION does 24, but
nothing but customer outrage stops them from going even higher.

> lines). But I get good bandwidth from OCN - in fact close to what I'd see
> if I had all 128K to myself.

You can do that, if there aren't many people on the line you got.  I've heard
from people in rural areas that they get fairly good performance at most times,
but it's a crap shoot with no guarantee.  If you get an OCN line and find
that you're subsriber number 20 and the performance is horrible, you have no
grounds to complain to NTT, because they are fulfilling their contract.

PHT used to have an OCN line a long time ago, and their web site would
sometimes be inaccessible for up to 20 minutes because the line was
simply to saturated to get through.

OCN: you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Jonathan Byrne                                 Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                            http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1701   Direct: +81 3-5334-1756

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** Linux 8th Birthday Anniversary! ***
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.
*** Topics: 1) Linux i18n   2) Japanese TrueType fonts