Re: tlug: sendmail / connecting Linux box and a Mac

>> Which reminds me: I thought I could connect from the router (NTT's MM-128;
>> I'd filled all three sockets) to the uplink socket on the hub, but it
>> didn't work (with either kind of cable), so I just used socket 1. Should it
>> have worked or is uplink there for some other purpose?
>
>The uplink socket is for cascading hubs, but most hubs have a switch to
>set it to function as a normal socket or cascade.  I would only use it
>as a normal socket if 1) I had no others left, and 2) I was a million
>percent sure I would never cascade that hub.  And even then I'd probably
>find myself cascading it some day  :-)

I didn't quite understand. Is this switch something I find on the router
(which is the 'uplink' if I understand the word correctly) or the hub? The
hub has no switches at all. If I altered something on the router, then does
that mean I can only have hubs plugged into it, and can no longer directly
plug computers in?

Darren

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.