Re: tlug: sendmail / connecting Linux box and a Mac

On Sun, 5 Sep 1999, Tony Laszlo wrote:

> * gnome and kde both change the function of the middle mouse
> button, making it impossible to switch kterm's encoding from
> euc to sjis, etc. has anyone figured out a way to disable
> that and/or switch kterm's encoding in some other way?

It works on mine . . . not that I would ever want to switch to sjis, you
understand :-)

> * I am considering some kind of local hookup between
> a PC laptop running Linux and a Mac PowerPC  7100/66av

> * I have heard that I should get an ether hub to connect
> the two machines, then an ether card for the laptop
> and an 10base-T (or 100base-T?) adapter for the Mac. What else do I
> need in the way of cables, etc. to make this happen? Anything

The only cables you need are two ordinary RJ-45 Ethernet cables,
available at any computer store, one for the PC and one for the Mac.
Whatever PC Card Ethernet you get for your notebook will come with a
"tail" to plug the Ethernet card into (unless it has an integral jack
that pops out).

Any hub will work.  Name brands are better than cheap stuff.  A cheap PC
Card Ethernet known to work with Linux is the Laneed card.  I've heard a
lot of bad things about Planex hubs, but if you want to save money,
they're cheap and probably good enough for home use, where performance
isn't much of an issue.

The list of supported cards in the current version of PCMCIA Card
Services and other info can be found on the PCMCIA-CS page:

http://hyper.stanford.edu/~dhinds/pcmcia/

> * to send email back and forth between users on the two
> machines and to send mail from the user on the Mac to
> the Internet, I guess I have to run some sort of server program
> on the Linux machine...are there many types and
> what's involved there?

You're already running Sendmail on it, right?   You'll also need to
enable POP3 in inetd.conf and then restart inetd to make it to effect.
That will let you do a POP3 mail run from the Mac to the Linux box.

Jonathan

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.