tlug: sendmail / connecting Linux box and a Mac

> > > -- I have sendmail/fetchmail/procmail configured and
> > > things usually run pretty normally. two problems have
> > > been occurring, however. the first is sometimes an
> > > incoming mail message will cause an error (something
> > > having to do with improper SMTP - I'll have to jot
> > > it down properly next time). As a result, I don't
> > > get to see that message in the inbox, so I can only
> > > imagine (and hope) that it wasn't something important.
>
> I have suffered from this too here at work, where I am getting my mail
> from our M$ Exchange IMAP server with fetchmail, and at home from my
> ISP.  I don't know who's at fault...
>
> > Please post the error message.
>
> Ok, next time I have the problem I'll send the output this way (I
> vaguely recall the sendmail error being 250, but I'm not sure right
> now).

Mine is usually error #553.
It doesn't happen often, but I am definitely losing
incoming mail due to this.

I have some other questions. I would appreciate any hints.

* gnome and kde both change the function of the middle mouse
button, making it impossible to switch kterm's encoding from
euc to sjis, etc. has anyone figured out a way to disable
that and/or switch kterm's encoding in some other way?

* I am considering some kind of local hookup between
a PC laptop running Linux and a Mac PowerPC  7100/66av
running a recent Japanese MacOS. Both computers have
been using a 28.8 modem to connect to the Net via ppp.
The idea is to connect these two a) just to see how
copying files back and forth will work (maybe using
a portion of the MAC's hard disk space to backup the
Linux data) and b)maybe connecting to Internet with
just the laptop (Linux) and using it to send and
receive mail for the MAC(a different email address
from the one on the Linux).
I don't know the first thing about doing this (yet) so I
have lots of questions:

* I have heard that I should get an ether hub to connect
the two machines, then an ether card for the laptop
and an 10base-T (or 100base-T?) adapter for the Mac. What else do I
need in the way of cables, etc. to make this happen? Anything
needed to connect to the ??base-T adapter on the Mac or
is that all that's needed?
Also, I would appreciate recommendations for ethercards
and ether hubs, etc., that will defintely work with
Linux (using TL4.0).

* to send email back and forth between users on the two
machines and to send mail from the user on the Mac to
the Internet, I guess I have to run some sort of server program
on the Linux machine...are there many types and
what's involved there?

forgive the very basic nature of these questions.
I'll be reading up on this but would appreciate any hints
from people who have been there first.

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.