Re: tlug: mail weirdness [the mutt way]

turnbu>>>>>> "kyoomu" == B  <B5uL5> writes:
turnbu>
turnbu>Well, actually, Mutt writes on Kyomu's behalf
turnbu>
turnbu>    kyoomu> From: 虚無 <kyomu@example.com>
turnbu>    kyoomu> Mime-Version: 1.0
turnbu>    kyoomu> Content-Type: multipart/signed; boundary="W/nzBZO5zC0uMSeA"; micalg=pgp-md5;
turnbu>    kyoomu> 	protocol="application/pgp-signature"
turnbu>    kyoomu> X-Mailer: Mutt 0.95.4i-jp2
turnbu>

        is this "kyoomu" a header problem,
                        a typo, or something else?

turnbu>OH, MY ACHING HEAD!  Raw JIS does not belong in mail headers.  This is
turnbu>not MIME-compliant, and probably isn't even RFC-822-compliant.  It
turnbu>certainly is not in the spirit of RFC-822.  Somebody (who cares; see
turnbu>my X-Mailer header for why I don't) should tell the Mutt and Mutt-jp
turnbu>people about this pronto; this is NOT user responsibility, it's Mutt's
turnbu>fault.

	i agree that the mailer shouldnt (always) let the user
	do something that is against standards (well....), but
	*i* did config. it, so before pointing any fingers at mutt,
	i should look into my config-files/system set-up...

	thanx for the headz-up. i hadnt even noticed.

	[and i will try and go through and read RFC-822 and the source
	and see if i can figure out the problem (and so i can give them
	some more info on the problem) as well as check to make sure that
	the more recent versions do/do not display the same problems.
	then i will drop them a mail.  many of the mutt-jp people
	are still (i think) using mutt-0.95.4 and the current is 0.95.7.]

		<this does not mean i am someone who cares>

turnbu>    kyoomu> 		set sendmail="/usr/sbin/sendmail -oem -oi \
turnbu>    kyoomu>                                  -f<username>@<host>"
turnbu>
turnbu>This is probably not a good way to fix this.  For one thing, it only
turnbu>works if the local installation uses something aliased to
turnbu>"/usr/sbin/sendmail" for the MTA.  Second, if you decide to send mail
turnbu>"From: " somebody else (the correct way to allow somebody else to use
turnbu>your account to send mail is to have them set up a "From: " header
turnbu>with their own address there; the MTA = sendmail then should add a
turnbu>"Sender: " header), there will very likely be multiple "-f " arguments
turnbu>on the sendmail command line and I rather suspect that the behavior in
turnbu>that case is undefined.

	yes.  i pointed out this was not a good way to do it.
	thanx for explaining why.

					again thanx for the info.
						kyomu.