Re: tlug: mail weirdness [the mutt way]

>>>>> "kyoomu" == kyomu  <kyomu@example.com> writes:

turnbu>>>>>> "kyoomu" == B  <B5uL5> writes:

    kyoomu>         is this "kyoomu" a header problem, a typo, or
    kyoomu> something else?

Typo; my bad.

    kyoomu> 	i agree that the mailer shouldnt (always) let the user
    kyoomu> do something that is against standards (well....), but
    kyoomu> *i* did config. it, so before pointing any fingers at
    kyoomu> mutt, i should look into my config-files/system set-up...

No.  Mutt _claims_ in its headers to be MIME-compliant; that implies
certain promises about how it will handle non-ASCII characters the
user inserts into headers.  It's one of the RFC-MIME series (2045,
2046, 2047, 2048, 2049).

	[and i will try and go through and read RFC-822 and the source
	and see if i can figure out the problem (and so i can give
	them

I think RFC-2046 (IIRC) is more relevant.  (Note that as far as
RFC-822 is concerned, those _are_ ASCII characters; it doesn't know,
or need to know, about the interpretation as ISO-2022-encoded
Japanese.)  I am willing to bet that the problem is simply that Mutt
doesn't do anything except ISO-8859-1 headers (and maybe not even
that).  Doing this right is a very hard problem; only Emacs/Mule and
Unicode-based MTAs have much hope.  So I would guess that the Mutt
developers punted.  Look for "base64" and "quoted-printable" in the
header-handling routines.

The other possibility is that Mutt handles non-ASCII console input to
the headers, but not the preconfigured ones.  That's horrible design.
(What should be done is to build the message, then do all the
conversion and ASCII-armoring after the user washes his hands of it.)

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.