Re: tlug: programming

"Stephen J. Turnbull" <turnbull@example.com> writes:

>     >> VC++ has a good cross reference tool which is a weak point of
>     >> emacs. You may think emacs has etags but it is slow and does
>     >> not understand a class hierarchy nor call graph etc.

I don't think etags is slow. When I know  the name of the class and/or
member-function/attribute  where  I want  to jump  to,  using etags is
usually the fastest way to get me there.  The actual jump takes only a
fraction of a second.   Even the  font-locking  of the  target buffer,
which happens  if  case the  file containing  the  target tag  is  not
visited by emacs yet, takes longer than the jump.

When I  look around in classes   I am not  familiar  with and  want to
explore what  member-functions/attributes are there,  and get  a quick
overview about ancestors and descendents, I use OOBR.

I use etags  more often than OOBR, but I think both are very useful.

>     Manu> I vaguely remember that I read somewhere about a class
>     Manu> browser, but I am not sure.
>
> I believe you're talking about oobr, the Object-Oriented Browser from
> Infodock.  Old versions can be found bundled with pre-20.4 XEmacsen,
> and (I've been away from my desk so I don't know the full story here)
> Infodock has recently been released as open source in its entirety.
> http://www.altrasoft.com/ for details.

They have changed their name. The new website is at:

http://www.beopen.com/

Mike
--
Mike Fabian   mike.fabian@example.com   mike.fabian@example.com
Termuehlenweg 2, D-40885 Ratingen-Lintorf, Telephone: +49(0)2102/893130