Re: tlug: Redhat 6 and Japanese.

>     This is just a check, the main files that I must have are
>
>         Wnn/Canna     Japanese Server, for kana -> kanji conversions?
>         mule/emacs    an editor that can handle Japanese
>         kterm         a term prog that can understand Japanese
>         kinput2       takes romaji, and converts to kana/kanji
>
>     Is this right (plus their uses)?  Are there any other programs that
> would be useful?  I'm really starting to look forward to seeing what Linux
> us like in Japanese.  I've worked on a Japanese Unix box, but I was just an
> end-user there.  Anyway all the doc's were in Japanese.  Maybe in a few
> years I'll be that good with Japanese (fingers crossed).
>
>     Thanks again for any advice/info.
>

> James

I think those are enough for you.    But you might not want kterm or kinput2,
because you can read/write email/newsgroup with mule.   kterm is the kanji
extension of xterm, and kinput2 is for kterm, so only if you use Japanese in
command lines or another text-based editors in kterm, you need kterm.   Which
you use Wnn or Canna is a big problem.   Personally, I use Canna which is
completely free, because these days, Wnn is becoming commercial (Wnn-6) and
OMRON(the developer of Wnn) development of free ware version of Wnn seems to
stop.  However, there seems to be another project free Wnn called free-Wnn.
But I don't know about it.  In short, Wnn-4 is free version, and Wnn-6 is
commercial version.   You must choose between mules for Wnn or Canna depending
on which you use Wnn or Canna.   Maybe PJE has only the free version of Wnn.
kinput2 is a bit troublesome in installation because it needs environment
variable and X Window resource set properly.

  Hope it will help.

-Tetsuji Rai

--
Tetsuji Rai    Tokyo Japan
PPL 2476457    tetsuji@example.com

Next Nomikai: September 17 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: October 9 (Sat), 13:00     place: Temple Univ.