Re: tlug: mutt: makes me feel all stupid inside

Your experiences sound very much like mine.  In fact, I just wrote a similar mail
to someone a couple hours ago.  And fortunately, that mail has an answer on how
to get Mutt working.

I've been slaving over a hot mutt for hours (and will be spending the night here in
my office as a result), but I now have a mutt that works successfully in Japanese
at last.

After patching and building 0.95.7i against the Slang 1.2.2 j055 and being
sure everything was done right, I began to suspect that either:

1) The 0.95.7 patch was no good
2) There was something else wrong in the 0.95.7i code that caused this (less
   likely?)
3) It wouldn't work with the Slang library I used

Thereafter, I got the 0.95.4i source and patch from:

<URL:http://home.sprintmail.com/~kikutani/mutt-e.html> (English)
<URL:http://home.sprintmail.com/~kikutani/mutt.html>   (Japanese)

I patched it, built it, compiled it against the same Slang used before, and
with fear in my heart, started it up.  A spark of hope sprang to life when I
saw Japanese in the titles of mail in my inbox.  Daring to open one, I saw
at last the sight I'd been longing for - Japanese text instead of junk.

So at this point, it sure looks like there is a problem with getting
Japanese to work in 0.95.7i.  Has anyone else tried this, and either failed
or successfully built it with functioning Japanese support?

I don't know of any RPM source for Mutt, so maybe my next project will be
to learn to build RPMs and put them up for download somewhere.  Of course,
if anyone who already knows how to do this would like to volunteer, don't
hold back on my account  :-)  I don't think it would tax the bandwidth too
much for Mutt RPMs to be available on the TLUG site, so we could make it
an official TLUG download, I suppose.  After I have my .muttrc sufficiently
tweaked and organi蘚zed, I will alsmake that available.

Anyone running Debian and not wanting to compile this themselves can also
get Debian binary packages of Mutt and Slang at the above URLs.

Happy mutting!

Jonathan Q                                 Engineering Division
Global Online Japan                            http://www.gol.com/
Tel:  +81 3-5334-1700   Fax: +81 3-5334-1701   Direct: +81 3-5334-1756