Re: tlug: Greenfrog Linux Nihongo Kit up.

On Sun, 8 Aug 1999, Austin Kurahone wrote:

>pps: Jonathan, I didn't experience any build errors when making
>Mutt....Weird.

You're just doing that to drive me crazy, aren't you?  :-)

Someone said the error I got sounded like I had a Slang version that
wasn't patched for Japanese.  I was going on the (perhaps naive)
assumption that TL-J would naturally have a J-patched Slang, but
maybe not?  I'll try building it against a known-patched one and see
what happens.  Tony Laszlo also sent me a URL for an alternative J-patch
for Mutt, available at:

http://www.jp.qmail.org/mua/maildir-mua.html

I will also try that one out and see how it goes.

Overall I'm still fairly happy with Pine [1] but the volume of mail I
deal with at work has finally gotten to the point where it calls for
something better suited to tons of mail, someplace where Pine is weak.
I handle the postmaster role account on an Irix box that has J-Mutt on
it and that can have upwards of 10,000 mails waiting on a Monday
morning.  Fortunately, the majority of those don't actually have to be
looked at and can be handled with Mutt's marvelous pattern-matching
delete feature  :-)

For anybody else looking for a mail client just made for sysadmins, do
take a look at Mutt.

[1] But the version in TL-J 4.0 doesn't seem to be able to handle
Japanese headers.  Also, some Japanese mail comes out in kanji bakemoji
such that it not only is unreadable itself, but wipes out the display
for Pine such that I have to quit Pine and restart it after deleting the
mail.  So far I haven't been able to even get to the headers to see what
character encoding is hosing it, but circumstantial evidence (the people
it tends to come from) make me suspect s-jis.  Best guesses for
originating MUAs are Eudora Pro (Mac, Win, both?) and Outlook Express
(Mac, Win, both?).  If anybody else is getting this and has a better
handle on what character encoding and/or mail clients can be implicated
here, drop me a line.

Jonathan

Next Technical Meeting: August 14 (Sat), 13:00  place: Temple Univ.
*** Special guest: Marc Christensen (Salt Lake Linux Users Group)
Next Nomikai: September 20 (Fri), 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691