Re: tlug: 3Com 589 PC Card

>>>>> "jb" == Jonathan Byrne <jq@example.com> writes:

    jb> On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Manuel M. T. Chakravarty wrote:
    >> Not necessarily, the config file mentioned in the previous
    >> messages is, as far as I remember, on one of the two extra

    jb> When you tell it to use PCMCIA, it calls the extra hardware
    jb> disk (hereafter known as exhw).  In that disk's top level
    jb> directory are a whole bunch of .o.gz files for various
    jb> hardware (these are modules, I guess?).  There is also a
    jb> directory called pcmcia-modules/pcmcia that contains a bunch
    jb> more more .o files (not .gz), including one called 3c589_cs.o,
    jb> but there aren't any ascii files anywhere, only binaries.

    jb> Where do I go from here?

Debian, I guess.

No?  OK.  Hit random combinations of shift keys and function keys
until the installer drops you into a shell.  See if you've got an
/etc/pcmcia/config somewhere.  I'm pretty sure you do; otherwise
cardmgr would just barf and give up, I think.  You need to do this
_before_ cardmgr gets called, perhaps by hotswapping the PCMCIA card.

If Scott didn't bother to give you an editor, you can cp the file
somewhere safe, then echo >>/etc/pcmcia/config the lines you need.

You may also be able to insmod 3c589_cs.o by hand, but I doubt the TL
installer can grok that it's OK to continue from there.  An error is
an error, and TL customers are presumed not to be able to handle them.
(Hmm.  Wonder what would happen if you call "signal
(SIG_INSTALL_ERROR, (sig_handler_t) &user)".  giggle.)

This is why I dislike TL/RedHat-style "who needs a boot floppy anyway"
installs.

Next Technical Meeting: February 13 (Sat), 12:30 place: Temple Univ.
** presentation: XEmacs, by Steven Baur and Martin Buchholz
Next Nomikai: March 19 (Fri), 19:30   Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691