tlug: failed dependancies

Sean Bennett writes:

 > I'm trying to install a group of .rpm packages, but come up
 > with the following missing files ("failed dependancies")
 >
 >     libgdk.so.1
 >     libgtk.so.1
 >     gtk+10
 >     libc5xlibs

I see you're mixing distributions. That's cool, the programs will
probably run, but you will get a lot of complaints from RPM. Sometimes
the --nodeps option is the best solution.

It might help if you told us what you're trying to install.

 >         libgdk.so.1 is needed by AfterStep-APPS-1.5-0.3

If you already have AfterStep-APPS, and are trying to install
something else, this makes perfect sense: the new package is trying to
delete or upgrade libgdk, which will screw up your AfterStep-APPS. If,
on the other hand, you're trying to install AfterStep-APPS, then it's
as you thought ... very puzzling.

 > I've tried re-ordering my /etc/ld.so.conf file and running
 > /etc/ldconfig to no avail.  How do I make these files
 > visible to the .rpm packages?

Anything that you have installed from an RPM package should be visible
to RPM -- and conversely, anything not installed from an RPM will be
invisible. In fact, even if the file doesn't exist (e.g. one day you flew
into a rage and deleted all your shared libraries by hand ;-), if you
installed it from an RPM package, RPM will think it's there ... unless
the database is corrupted. If you're worried about that, you could do:

$ rpm -V gtk++

or

$ rpm -q --file /usr/lib/libgdk.so.1

... or whatever names are appropriate.

  Also, where can I find the
 > last 2 missing files,  gtk+10 and libc5xlibs ?

Those look like package names to me. I dunno. GNOME, maybe?

Hope this helps a bit,

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
*** it will will be Jan 14 (Thu), as Jan 15 (Fri) is a natl holiday
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD