Re: tlug: Building XFree86 w/ X-TrueType

Scott Stone writes:

 > actually 3.3.2 is all you need for the riva128.

Oh. I thought that was what I already had (I had to get the NVidia
server separately from SuSE), but it turns out I'm running 3.3.1. So,
is there an XNVidia server in 3.3.2, or will the SVGA server do the
trick?

 > HOWEVER, the dependency problems you encountered with the RPMs will
 > probably still be there if you just build it - you do need the freetype
 > stuff for the libs that it provides.  You can probably get away without
 > pam if you build from source (what distro are you using?  RH and TL both
 > come with pam).  What other dependencies was it asking for that your
 > system doesn't have?  I'm looking at the dependency list here and it all
 > looks like pretty standard stuff.

I'm using Redhat 5.1, and it certainly includes pam. I have also
installed the freetype package from TL-J. The most obvious problem was
libXaw.so.6 -- it's in RedHat's XFree86-libs package but not in
yours. I tried manually installing libfont.so.1 from TL's libs
package, but something was broken and X wouldn't run. I think there
were a couple of other problems, too, but it was late at night.

Anyway, I'm sure it could be worked out somehow, but I guess I'd
rather fiddle with makefiles and specfiles than try to figure out all
the interlocking dependencies of the binary packages. It's all little
things, I guess, but some of them seem to be important.

 > You could get the TL/TLJ .src.rpm for the 3.3.3+XTT stuff (TLJ 3.0 only
 > has 3.3.2 +X_TT, you might want to get the 3.3.3 stuff from the 3.0
 > updates dir on the USA server, ftp.pht.com).
 >
 > If you want to build your own RPM (long process, btw), you can use TL's
 > .spec file in our .src.rpm as a starting point - that'll show you all the
 > patches/etc that we've done.

Sounds like a plan! Thanks very much, as always.

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
* Thursday *
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD