tlug: Building XFree86 w/ X-TrueType

Getting ready for a big job here ... I want to use XFree86 w/
X-TrueType support. I tried installing the TL-3.0J packages last night,
but with the number of dependency problems I ran into, I figger I
might just as well build the whole damn thing from scratch. I think
I'd like to do it as an RPM; however, if I'm building XF86, I'd like
to build for 2 machines, one of which has an NVidia Riva 128 card,
which means, I guess, I need XF86 3.3.3 (unless I can somehow get the
source to SuSE's XNVidia server -- doesn't seem too likely). Therefore
if I want an RPM I have to make my own. I think I can more-or-less
figure out how to do that, but there are a few points I'd like clarified:

* The X-TrueType docs say that if I want to use xfs, I need to build the
entire XFree86 package; otherwise, I can build the 'server-only'
package. Okay, well, how do I know whether I want to use xfs or not?

* The X-TrueType distribution includes a patch for the freetype
library to enable Dynalab fonts. I think I probably want to have
that. Does anybody (e.g. Scott Stone?) know if the TL-J freetype
packages already have that patch?

* To write the RPM spec file, I need to know what files will be
installed. What's the easiest way to find that out?

Any tips much appreciated,

Matt Gushee
Oshamanbe, Hokkaido

P.S. Scott, if you're reading this: thanks for the tip on hard
disks. Following your suggestion, I bought an IO-Data disk for my
notebook. It's actually made by Hitachi, which I guess is good. The
denki-ya guys all said it wouldn't work in my box, but (thank god,
since I think I'm violating the warranty) they were wrong as usual.
Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
* Thursday *
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD