Re: tlug: Building XFree86 w/ X-TrueType

On Fri, 18 Dec 1998, Matt Gushee wrote:

> Getting ready for a big job here ... I want to use XFree86 w/
> X-TrueType support. I tried installing the TL-3.0J packages last night,
> but with the number of dependency problems I ran into, I figger I
> might just as well build the whole damn thing from scratch. I think
> I'd like to do it as an RPM; however, if I'm building XF86, I'd like
> to build for 2 machines, one of which has an NVidia Riva 128 card,
> which means, I guess, I need XF86 3.3.3 (unless I can somehow get the
> source to SuSE's XNVidia server -- doesn't seem too likely). Therefore
> if I want an RPM I have to make my own. I think I can more-or-less
> figure out how to do that, but there are a few points I'd like clarified:

actually 3.3.2 is all you need for the riva128.
HOWEVER, the dependency problems you encountered with the RPMs will
probably still be there if you just build it - you do need the freetype
stuff for the libs that it provides.  You can probably get away without
pam if you build from source (what distro are you using?  RH and TL both
come with pam).  What other dependencies was it asking for that your
system doesn't have?  I'm looking at the dependency list here and it all
looks like pretty standard stuff.

> * The X-TrueType docs say that if I want to use xfs, I need to build the
> entire XFree86 package; otherwise, I can build the 'server-only'
> package. Okay, well, how do I know whether I want to use xfs or not?
>
> * The X-TrueType distribution includes a patch for the freetype
> library to enable Dynalab fonts. I think I probably want to have
> that. Does anybody (e.g. Scott Stone?) know if the TL-J freetype
> packages already have that patch?

I'm not sure, actually.  Tadayoshi built that one.. and he's in Kyoto
today.

> * To write the RPM spec file, I need to know what files will be
> installed. What's the easiest way to find that out?

You could get the TL/TLJ .src.rpm for the 3.3.3+XTT stuff (TLJ 3.0 only
has 3.3.2 +X_TT, you might want to get the 3.3.3 stuff from the 3.0
updates dir on the USA server, ftp.pht.com).

If you want to build your own RPM (long process, btw), you can use TL's
.spec file in our .src.rpm as a starting point - that'll show you all the
patches/etc that we've done.

Head of TurboLinux Development/Systems Administrator
Pacific HiTech, Inc (USA) / Pacific HiTech, KK (Japan)

Next Nomikai: 14 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
* Thursday *
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD