Re: tlug: Re: tlug-digest V1 #1090 - Pine

Chris Sekiya <chris@example.com> wrote:

>   (I don't have the batbook with me right now, this is off-the-cuff)
>
>   On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, Jonathan Byrne wrote:
>
>   > When sending using a local sendmail, does that cause a return address
>   > that doesn't actually work (since your machine isn't registered on DNS
>   > on a dial-up connection) if the reply-to address isn't set?
>
>   Sure.  Using local sendmail on one of my home workstations, if I don't set
>   the proper domain in pine mail will have a return address of
>   wileyc@example.com, unless I use ...
>
>   > If so, what's the best work-around for this?
>
>   ... a DM directive in /etc/sendmail.cf
>
>   DMsekiya.twics.co.jp
>
>   works for me.

This DM directive is empty in my /etc/sendmail.cf, but I use

  (setq user-mail-address "mike.fabian@example.com")
  (setq mail-default-reply-to "mike.fabian@example.com")

in my .emacs and this seems to set the "From:" and "Reply-to" fields
in my mail headers correctly.

Whether the local address works as an return address also depends on
the sendmail configuration of you provider. In my case you can send me
mail to mike@example.com (even to
"anything"@example.com) and it will arrive, although
"laputa" is only the name of my local machine.

In the /etc/sendmail.cf I use an entry for a "Smart" relay host:

DSsmtp-ma.rhein-neckar.de

This  is  supposed to have  the advantage  that a  mail which can't be
delivered immediately for  whatever reason (maybe because the  machine
of the  recipient is down) doesn't  stay in my  mail queue  but rather
moves on to the mail queue of my provider. The sendmail of my provider
then keeps trying to send the mail while I am offline again.

Mike

--
Mike Fabian   mike.fabian@example.com   fabian@example.com
Termuehlenweg 2, D-40885 Ratingen-Lintorf, Telephone: +49(0)2102/893130

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD