Re: tlug: PC-NFS, samba?

Jim Tittsler <jwt-tlug@example.com> wrote:

>   Linux also supports a Samba filesystem, smbfs.  It will allow you to mount
>   shared resources on your Linux box in a way that is similar to what you are
>   used to with NFS.  I find this interoperability feature crucial to applying
>   Linux in an office that contains mostly Windows systems.  It is mentioned
>   in the /Documetation/filesystems/smbfs.txt file of the Linux sources.
>   .. ftp://ftp.gwdg.de/pub/linux/misc/smbfs/smbfs.tgz (for the utilities,
>	although they are probably packaged in your distribution already)
>   .. http://samba.SerNet.DE/linux-lan/

Thank  you very  much.  I  didn't know  smbfs.  It  was indeed already
available in my distribution.  I tried it today  in the office  and it
works fine.

Does it make sense to mount the directories exported by the Windoze NT
machines at  system startup of Linux, so  that the users don't have to
do  anything later (and  I  don't have  to  give  the users  access to
smbmount with sudo)?

I  mount the  NFS file  systems of the  other UNIX  machines at system
startup by having entries for them in /etc/fstab.

With smbfs  this   doesn't work of  course,  therefore  I did put  the
smbmount commands into rc.local.    And unfortunately the NT  machines
insist on getting  a password,   therefore I  used the "-P   password"
option of  smbmount. Now I have  passwords in  plain text in rc.local.
Is this OK,  or is this dangerous? (I  made rc.local readable for root
only).

Mike

--
Mike Fabian   mike.fabian@example.com   fabian@example.com
Termuehlenweg 2, D-40885 Ratingen-Lintorf, Telephone: +49(0)2102/893130

Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691
Next Technical Meeting: 13 February, 12:30               Place: TBD