tlug: Linux and Solaris

Have a look at the latest from Sun on how they are viewing Linux.  Sun is
one company NOT embracing NT and Intel, but keeping up with their Unix and
their own SPARC chip.

Of course they are trying to make money (lots of it) and in the past have
sold Solaris for way too much money.  Suddenly they are giving Version 2.6
away, both for the Intel architecture and the SPARC Stations. For
"non-comercial use" of course.

Here's an excerpt from the SunWorld newsletter:

"What does Sun have to fear from Linux?
	Linux may be setting its sights on Windows NT, but
	commercial Unix vendors could get caught in the cross fire.

http://www.sunworld.com/swol-12-1998/swol-12-linuxunix.html?1201a

Getting help with free software
	What are your options?

http://www.sunworld.com/swol-12-1998/swol-12-support.html?1201a

"

Meta-Note:  While this really falls under "Advocacy" in our scheme of
things, I have trouble seperating the importance of this kind of news from
purely "how to" technical questions, and hence am posting it on the "main"
list.  Of course anyone wanting to discuss the appropriateness of this
posting here should do so on the admin list, or perhaps the advocacy list?

Stephen N. Carter, Information Technology Manager
American Chamber of Commerce in Japan (ACCJ)
3-25-2 Toranomon 5F, Minato-ku
Tokyo 105-0001    Japan
Tel: +81 3 3433 5381  Fax: +81 3 3436 1446
scarter@example.com   http://www.accj.or.jp

Next Technical Meeting: 12 December, 12:30 at Temple Univ. Japan
*NEW LOCATION* a map is available at http://www.tuj.ac.jp/maps.html
Next Nomikai: 15 January 1999, 19:30 Tengu TokyoEkiMae 03-3275-3691