RE: tlug: So close to e-mail i can almost taste it.

Hi,

On 12-Nov-98 Dave Gutteridge wrote:
> I'll show you what the page said, and then my experience trying to follow
> along, and tell me where i broke with reality.

> The web page said:
>       To check your mail server has pop, try :
>               $ telnet mailhost 110
>       If it works, you will get something like "OK Pop server (...) starting"
                                  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I think your reading the page a little too literally. My POP server doesn't say
'starting' either so you're probably OK.

> Here I may already have assumed too much. My POP server didn't say
> "starting..." as it did in the example.

> The web page said:
>       To install a ssh crypted "channel", first test your mail server typing
:
>               $ ssh mailhost date

First, ssh is the Secure Shell login program, so you'll need to install it on
your machine before this will work. The latest version of the FAQ is at
http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/~ig25/ssh-faq/ I think.

mailhost refers to the name of the server where you're trying to get mail

ie ssh your.isp.com date

and date is a program that will tell you the time, date, etc.

Hope that help clarify things a little.

Regards,

Jim S.