RE: tlug: HTML again

(Talking about ALT="description of image" in IMG tags)

>    jdh> elements (the ones in active navigation buttons, for
>    jdh> example). The purpose of those empty alt tags, I presume, is
>    jdh> to alert text-based browsers like Lynx that there is an image
>
>Um, no, it's to put something in place so that the user of the text
>browser knows _what_ is there.

If the image is decorative, it doesn't deserve an ALT tag, IMHO. It's just
a waste of bandwidth. The HTML standard doesn't specify it as required.

The only two places an ALT tag is worth adding are image buttons, and where
your user with images turned of (20+% of Netsape/Explorer users apparently;
not just lynx users) might like to have a look (eg. alt="map of how to get
here" or alt="screenshot of ...").

BTW, Japanese web pages often have their image links in English, because
it's "kako ii". Putting the ALT tag in Japanese is a good idea as it will
then pop up the meaning of the button when they move their mouse over it.

Darren