RE: tlug: HTML again

Darren Cook writes:

 > >    jdh> elements (the ones in active navigation buttons, for
 > >    jdh> example). The purpose of those empty alt tags, I presume, is
 > >    jdh> to alert text-based browsers like Lynx that there is an image
 > >Um, no, it's to put something in place so that the user of the text
 > >browser knows _what_ is there.

 > If the image is decorative, it doesn't deserve an ALT tag, IMHO. It's just

The image doesn't deserve anything. But the user does. If the author
is very consistent in always using ALTs for meaningful graphics, then
not having them for decorations may be okay. But it still would be
helpful to have, say, a generic label like "icon". That's all of 10
extra bytes.

 > a waste of bandwidth. The HTML standard doesn't specify it as required.

HTML 4.0 does. Better get used to it.

Matt