tlug: kterm error message

I originally sent this message to the old address--yes, I screwed up--so
I'm sending it again to what I hope is the correct address . . . . There
also have been some intermittent problems with the university SMTP server
as of late so there may be some replication of the message that follows
either from my dogged efforts to send to the old address or from some
latent quirkiness of the SMTP server.  I apologize for any inconvenience I
may have caused.

After upgrading from RH4.2 to 5.0 and now 5.1, I'm once again trying to
get Japanese support working on my system.  Under RH4.2, things worked
fairly smoothly as far as the input, display, and printing of Japanese
were concerned.  My latest attempt to get Japanese going on RH5.1 does
not seem to have gotten off to a good start.

Essentially, when I fire up a kterm from the command line of an xterm, I

get the following error message:

[root@example.com /root]# kterm &
[1] 744
[root@example.com /root]# Warning: locale not supported by C library,
locale unchanged
Warning: Actions not found: begin-conversion
Couldn't set locale:
ja_JP.eucJP,ja_JP.ujis,ja_JP.EUC,japanese.euc,Japanese-EUC,ja,japan
Warning: Actions not found: begin-conversion
Warning: Actions not found: begin-conversion

[root@example.com /root]#

You should be aware that a kterm does indeed appear, and it can display
Japanese.  (I did set up "LANG=ja_EUC" in my .bash_profile.)
Nevertheless, I am a little concerned that something isn't configured
properly.  (The version of glibc that I have is glibc-2.0.7-19.)
Consequently, I have not attempted to get either canna or wnn up and
running.  (I figure if there is a problem, now's a good time to nip it
in the bud.)

Having downloaded all of the JRPMs from ftp.lab.kdd.co.jp, I tried
upgrading kterm from the RH5.1 stock version (i.e., kterm-6.2.0-3) to
kterm-6.2.0-7, the version that I had downloaded from kdd.  Well, when I

tried to fire up this later version of kdd, I get the following error
message, but no kterm:

[root@example.com JRPMs]# kterm &
[1] 761
[root@example.com JRPMs]# Warning: locale not supported by C library,
locale unchanged
kterm: error in loading shared libraries
: undefined symbol: _Xsetlocale

[1]+  Exit 127                kterm
[root@example.com JRPMs]#

As a result, I extracted  kterm-6.2.0-7 and reinstalled kterm-6.2.0-3
from the RH5.1 CD-ROM.  At least I can once again get a kterm, albeit
with the first message cited above.

Okay, then I did a search in the TLUG mail archive on "locale not
supported by C library" and came up with the following hits:

http://tlug.linux.or.jp/ML/9803/msg00746.html by Chiew Farn Chung
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/ML/9803/msg00740.html by Scott M. Stone
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/ML/9803/msg00732.html by Andrew S. Howell

Other searches conducted on the TLUG mail archive as well as searches
conducted on altavista seemed to point to the need to stipulate locale
support when compiling XFree86 from source, or in the case of when
I searched on altavista and got some info regarding a similar
problem on FreeBSD (www.jp.freebsd.org/~ryuchi/QandA/HTML/Xmisc.html, Q&A
4), setting up a couple of symbolic links in the attempt to induce locale
support for Japanese from supported locale support:

ln -s /usr/share/locale/lt_LN.ISO_8859-1/LC_COLLATE
/usr/share/locale/ja_JP.EUC/LC_COLLATE
ln -s /usr/share/locale/en_US.ISO_8859-1/LC_TIME
/usr/share/locale/ja_JP.EUC/LC_TIME

 Well, not having /usr/share/locale/lt_LN.ISO_8859-1/, I tried
/usr/share/locale/en_US, among others, but with no luck.

The bottom line is I'm stuck.  I'm more than willing to try compiling
XFree86 from source, if I only had a better idea of what i must do to
get the job done.  (I've never compiled a program from source--heck, I'm
in the humanities--but I'm not "agin" doing so.  In fact, I'd like to
learn how seeing that I have an "arubaito" helping with Linux sysadmin.
I asked my supervisor for some help but his efforts didn't yield any
success.)  Stephen J. Turnbull
(http://tlug.linux.or.jp/ML/9803/msg00430.html)--Stephen, thanks for
your help in the (distant) past; I should have thanked you directly much
sooner than now--and Klaus Kudielka
(http://tlug.linux.or.jp/ML/9803/msg00492.html) seem to have touched on
my present problem back in March.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could get back to me on how I can get
things properly up and running.  Not only would I like the fish but I'd
also like to learn how to catch one, too, so if there's a ready solution
available please tell me where I can find it, and if there's an issue of
having to compile XFree86 from source by all means let me know how I can
go about doing it.  Again, I've never compiled from source, so if I'm
going to have to do so, please point me in the direction--either on the
web or in some books--of some pretty detailed instructions.  "Long trips
usually don't bother me none so long as they're strange."