Re: tlug: TLUG Finances

    Jonathan> On Fri, 16 Oct 1998, Andrew S. Howell wrote:
    >> It might be worth putting an order in through amazon.com. Even
    >> with shipping its cheaper than in Japan. I think they charge
    >> $30 per order, plus $5 per book.

You got me curious, so I checked Amazon. They want $47.96, so for one
book, it would be:

	47.96
	30.00
	 5.00
	-----
	82.96

Current rate is 116.55.

	9669 yen

Sky shows it for 59.95, or 6987 yen

I could not figure out what exchange rate they would use. They just
said it from the previous week. Anyway, you are right, unless they are
using a rate of more than 161, its cheaper. Amazon would be closer of
you buy many books at once, but still probably more expensive.

Thanks!

    Jonathan> Not at current exchange rates, it's not.  I haven't
    Jonathan> ordered from Amazon in ages because of this.
    Jonathan> Particularly on O'Reilly titles, it costs more to bring
    Jonathan> them in than to buy locally.  There's also an outfit
    Jonathan> called Skyfsoft Books that sells English titles here at
    Jonathan> U.S. cover price, converted to yen.  I'll check their
    Jonathan> web site (http://www.sky.co.jp/) and see if they have
    Jonathan> that title.

Andy