Re: tlug: Re: Many Faces on Linux

On Mon, 21 Sep 1998, Rex Walters wrote:

> If making money simply from selling cd's, documentation, and support
> isn't appealing, consider letting others do the gui work for you.  If

What do you think of this idea: source-included shareware.  The license
agreement would work basically the same way that other shareware does:

1) The distribution package includes both source and a pre-compiled
binary.

2) It may be freely distributed, but must be distributed intact, with all
README files, source code, licensing agreement, and other documentation
included.  (This would make it as easy to distribute as GPL applications
are.)

3) If you use it beyond the 30-day evaluation period, you are required to
register.

4) At the author's discretion, the source may not be used in any other
product without being licensed (or the author may wave this and allow it
to be used).

This would both allow open distribution of a program, while providing a
framework under which the author might make some return on her time.
There is a lot of very good GPL software out there, and if the author's
asked for a registration fee, or even just said that it was
"donation-ware" and to send them something if you felt like it but you
were not obligated too, I think many Linux users would cooperate.  At
least, I would.

What do the rest of you think?  Would you be support Open Source shareware
and/or "donation-ware" software for Linux?

Cheers,

Jonathan