tlug: Re: gnus and Japanese

Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

> Gnus itself does not handle Japanese, and Lars couldn't care less as
> far as I can tell.  "I am not interested in dealing with multibyte
> characters.  Period." --larsi@example.com  I'm not sure that's what he
> meant, we clearly weren't communicating, but that's what he wrote.

> :-(

Yes, this certainly seems to have been the attitude most prevalent on
ding (the Gnus developers list), _until recently_. I had totally given
up on Gnus and its use with Japanese and Chinese and other scripts now
supported by Emacs 20.3 (soon to be 20.4) but to my great surprise
there seems to be a change of heart within the past few
weeks. Pterodactyl Gnus is now at about v0.32, and as Quassia Gnus,
the previous development Gnus, added support for off-line mail/news
(agent), it seems that the new, Pterodactyl series is committed to
adding internal MIME support. This has made the developers face some
of the Mule encoding/decoding problems straight on, finally. My local
sys admin/programmer/consultant (my son Michael) finally graduated in
CS and went on and got a real job, so Daddy has to face Linux straight
on now, and that slows me down in the short term, but I am going to
compile these latest Gnus releases and give them a try because
*This is the time for input to ding on M17N issues* and they seem to
have only a few who can check things with CJK news and mail. I have been
lurking along on ding for a couple years now and I have never seen a
similar opportunity. It probably won't last.

(First, I'm attempting to figure out procmail so that I can avoid losing
mail while I try out the new developers' versions of Gnus.)

P.S. I've had to switch to tlug-digest for a while, am running Rmail
at the moment, and not quite sure how to put this msg in the right
place for which I apologize. It will be somewhat out of sync with the
thread, I guess.

Jon

--
Jon Babcock <jon@example.com>