Re: tlug: Re: Many Faces on Linux

On Sat, Sep 19, 1998 at 07:35:39PM -0700, David Fotland wrote:

> I would be more interested in a Linux port if I thought I could make some
> money from it, since time I spent on it would take away time from
> other projects that are money-makers.  I don't use Linux myself, but
> my impression of the Linux community is that they would not be interested
> in paying for game software.

Well, a single datapoint isn't worth much, but I for one would pay
*more* for a Linux version than a dos/windows version.  Also keep in
mind that the Linux community comprises many, many people that purchase
Windows games or other programs only out of necessity.  "Nobody buys
linux apps so there is no sense in making them" is a self-fulfilling
prophecy.

For what it's worth, a fair number of companies (Oracle, Informix,
Netscape, Applix, Star, and many others) are already selling commercial
software for the linux platform.  I am willing to bet that there are far
more potential buyers for a Linux version of ManyFaces than for an HP-UX
version.

Still, I *fully* understand the pressures of a full-time job and
children, and obviously DOS still provides you the widest possible
potential market.  On the other hand, whenever customers explicitly ask
for something it's usually a good idea to take the request seriously.

If the gui has undergone that many revisions, it seems much of the pain
has already been absorbed.  With such a clear delineation of front-end
to back-end, this particular app at least appears to be a relatively
"easy" port.  If you find yourself with some spare cycles, you
should investigate some of the gui libraries and toolkits available for
the Linux platform.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised.  Take a
look at the gtk and qt libraries, or even the Tk library for tcl or perl
scripted front-ends.

Finally, many/most linux advocates (myself included) would ask you to
consider the "open software" or "freeware" model even if you wish to
make money with your software.  It *is* possible to make money with
"free" software.  Witness the success of the many Linux distributors
(RedHat, Pacific HiTech, SuSe, and other oddly capitalized companies).

I can guarantee that providing source to any part of the program will
provide you with quality assurance testing and bug reports of a quality
that commercial software vendors only dream about.

If making money simply from selling cd's, documentation, and support
isn't appealing, consider letting others do the gui work for you.  If
you document the interface between the front- and back-ends, it would
allow others to create the gui and allow you to focus on (and sell) the
back-end engine.  If you simply use the go modem protocol, there are
already front-ends available for the linux platform (most notably, the
"cgoban" client).  This way you could simply provide pre-compiled
back-ends for sale for a variety of platforms.

Widening your prospective market is rarely a bad thing.

Regardless of your decision, please accept my thanks for your wonderful
program.  I owe much of my interest in Go to ManyFaces -- when I finally
beat it in a handicap game recently (3 stones for me) I really felt that
I had accomplished something.  I'm eagerly awaiting my copy of the 10.0
cd I ordered from Samarkand (yet to arrive unfortunately).

Best regards,
--
Rex Walters