Re: tlug: Eth problem

> > ???? Do you have your own  BIND running ? If not, better remove
> > the middle line.
>
> How do I check it?

Do a ps ax and look at the output. Is there a line with the word
"named" in it ? If so it is active. However, this does not mean
that it is running properly. BIND is tricky. For the moment I'd
advise you to deactivate it. Better use an external one.

For the moment getting rid of that 127.0.0.1 line in resolv.conf
seems best to me.

> > is Brazils. Are you still there or is this a relic of the past ?
> > If so, update !
>
> Believe me, it is Brazil! :-))

OK. Then this is correct. Just wasn't sure about this one....

> > > Connection timed out
> >
> > address lookup problems. Does ping work ?
>
> Yes, indeed ping work...strange, ain't it?

Not at all. Ping uses the ICMP protocol that is based on UDP and
intentionally very simple. Telnet and particularly ftp are
rather complex beasts - they do lots of reverse looking up and
suchlike. If you have address lookup problems, they will run
amok.

"It was hell. They knew it.          Karl-Max Wagner
  But they called it                 karlmax@example.com
    W-I-N-D-O-Z-E"