tlug: Configuration Files

I'd like to start customizing my environment to suit my needs, and i have the
following questions with regards to that:

1. What are the configuration files used when you (a) log in and (b) start an
nxterm session. I need to know where to store all my aliases and whatnot so
that i don't have to keep typing them in and various other settings.

2. I'm using Afterstep, and I would like to set it up not only so that when i
log into my account the OS automatically starts some programs, but also that
it places them in specific places on my deskop so that everything isn't piled
all on top of each other at the outset.

    Thanks.
        Dave