tlug: iso-2022-cjk-unix (Was: Solution, etc. etc.)

    Jim> On Sep 7, 2:24pm, "Stephen J. Turnbull" wrote: } Subject:
    Jim> Solution (was Re: tlug: Emacs 20.2 and Japanese encoding )

    >>> This is probably actually ISO-2022-JP-2, an internationalized
    >>> version of ISO-2022-JP.

    Jim> Ummm. I wonder if it doesn't refer to the X11 Compound Text
    Jim> version, which has some subtle differneces from vanilla
    Jim> ISO-2022-JP (AKA "JIS"). I haven't got my head around why
    Jim> they are different, but Gaspar Sinai assures me they are, and
    Jim> in the "Encoding" menu in yudit he has both "JIS" and
    Jim> "CTEXT_JA".

AFAIK the JIS encoding simply is an ISO-2022-compatible 94x94 encoding
of the JIS character set, plus a couple of registered escape sequences
for shifting the JIS encodings into the G? registers.  However, you
don't actually need to use escape sequences as far as JIS itself is
concerned; you can assume JIS to start and never leave it, as long as
you stay inside one of the code tables (for practical purposes, JIS X
0208).

ISO-2022-JP is in fact defined in an RFC (1468, I think) for use in
messaging applications, and in addition to specifying the encoding and
escape sequences, it adds a number of robustness conditions, for
example that messages begin in ASCII, and that every line must end in
ASCII (before the newline character).  ISO-2022-JP-2 adds
specifications for other escape sequences, in particular for Korean
and a couple of varieties of Chinese (the specifications are of course
compatible with the registered escape sequences).

X Compound Text at least permits 8-bit ISO-2022 encodings; ISO-2022-JP
forbids them.

Institute of Policy and Planning Sciences        Tel/fax: +1 (298) 53-5091