Re: tlug: humour: Win98 source code

On Fri, Jul 17, 1998 at 12:13:17PM +0900, Jonathan Byrne - 3Web wrote:

> If the mouse action on Linux (within my experience; YMMV) was twice as
> good as it is now, it would still be only half as good as it is under
> Windows 95.  Something I would dearly love to see get better, since
> I would describe it very much as in the above code: jumpy at times
> (especially when Netscape is involved; at which point it won't move
                   ^^^^^^^^
> while pages are being loaded), slow, poor ballistics (increasing the
> mouse speed results in erratic movement because of this), etc.  Is it
> possible to improve mouse performance by increasing the execution
> priority of GPM, and if so, how is that done?
              ^^^

If you've got Netscape running on a Linux console, color me impressed.  ;-)

Seriously -- gpm shouldn't be involved at all while you're running X.
Your problems with netscape most likely involve memory, DNS, or java,
but regardless its wrong to take your specific experience and
extrapolate that all Linux systems exhibit poor mouse behaviour.  I can
assure you that every system I've every managed had a mouse that works
just fine.

It definitely sounds like something isn't right with your system.

If you get your netscape problems resolved you might want to take a look
at the man page for xset.  Setting the accelleration and threshold
parameters may give you the mouse responsiveness you're looking for.

Regards,
--
Rex
featuring Linux on multiple platforms: