Re: tlug: ppp again

> Sorry Mr. Wagner, I should have been a little more clearer.  I took the ip
        ^^^^^^^^^^\ "Karl-Max" is good enough.....
> addresses and the userid and passwd out (paranoid?).
                                          ^^^^^^^^^^^\ Oh, yes,
very ! So you got actual IP addresses. There is no security risc
in publishing your IP address. Just keep passwords secret - or,
in the case of asymmetric encryption, your private key. IP
addresses are something public. If you are connected, I could
spot you even from afar ( using "satan" to scan the network
structure of your provider ). And "0.0.0.0" is a reserved
address. If it would have occurred it would have indicated weird
things.
> Also, I typed poff to cause the "Terminating on signal 15."  I checked the
You did ? Then you had an actually working connection before !
> Is ARP or RARP not supposed to be going?  I might have that in my kernel.
It has nothing lost in here. That's the point. RARP is only
necessary to boot "headless" machines over a network. Not your
case. Proxy ARP is a somewhat evil hack. It is used to route out
packets from an ethernet to a serial connection. It works in the
following way: The machine having modems connected to it
announces the IP addresses of the modem ports on the ethernet as
belonging to its card HW address, too. So packets with a
destination to such a port are grabbed by that machine off the
ethernet and routed through the modem link. I strongly doubt
that your 1 machine configuration ( I guess that's what you have )
requires such trickery. I rather suspect that you configured
such stuff somewhere and mixed your routing table up. Please get
me the output when you type in "ifconfig" and "route" after you
did a PPP connection.
> I haven't reconfig'd my kernel as exact as I want to.
Maybe the kernel config would be interesting.....
> I have a "ZOOM" external 28.8 V.34X+ attached to the second port on my
> game/serial port with my palm pilot hotsync craddle on the first port on
> that card.  I have finally gotten a modem to connect to the ISP.  I am sure
> that the DSVD Voice internal modem which came with my computer is probably
> a "Windoze Modem."  :(
Don't think so. You apparently got it towards a working PPP
connection. In fact I suspect that your PPP works OK, but you
got your routing messed up.

Ah, has your modem a non standard at instruction set. Look on
the diskettes that came with it for an instruction set listing.
Might be that you turned flow control off or suchlike. Had that
one with a USR Sportster......Was driving me almost nuts, that.
> Is there more that I should tell you about my hardware?
You say it. Tell me literally EVERYTHING about it. Even how much
dust is on your IC's ( well, not quite, old hacker joke ) :-).

Again, get the LNAG and read it. TCP/IP networking is not
child's play. You need to know at least the basics or you keep
running into trouble.

                               Karl-Max Wagner
                               karlmax@example.com
*** 20 June: TLUG will be at the Tokyo Linux Fair
http://tlug.linux.or.jp/projects/linux-fair/fair.html