tlug: Re: splitting windoze

Marcus Metzler writes:
 > a friend of mine wants to convert :) to Linux, but doesn`t want to
 > give up all of his windoze stuff (don`t ask me why :) ). The problem
 > is that FIPS doesn`t work (at least the one on the TL1.9b) because he
 > has a large windoze partition (3GB > 2GB). He also doesn`t want to
 > reinstall windoze, because he has everything set up nicely. Is there a
 > way to split the partition or to backup windows and restore it so that
 > it runs again afterwards. I have little experience with this stuff
 > because I had never any qualms about deleting a windoze partition.
 > Oh, by the way, his windoze partion is only about half full, so
 > there`s enough space for Linux.

Hi Marcus,

You didn't mention which version of doze he's using, but this works for
NT.  It should also work for 95.  You'll need a Linux box available
to do this.

Mount the NT disk on Linux, and take the image off as a tgz file onto
a Linux box.  Then you can re-partition the NT disk using FDISK,
re-format the NT partition using the NT install disks (you also have to
have the NT disk to do this).  Then you can mount the target disk as VFAT
on the Linux box again, and put the image back onto the system.

I've done this on many machines already, and had no problems (other
than the obvious one - I still have NT on the machine ; )

-Joe.

Joe Marchak
joem@example.com

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station