Re: tlug: Japanese

From: Totoro <riley@example.com>
Subject: Re: tlug: Japanese
Date: Sun, 7 Jun 1998 08:43:56 +0900 (JST)

riley> On Sun, 7 Jun 1998 craigoda@example.com wrote:
riley>
riley> > riley> Well, as of yet I haven't found a cure for the battle between kinput2
riley> > riley> and NS 4.05. If kinput is running, NS dies from a bus error (no core
riley> > riley> dump or anything useful to give a clue). Guess I could just sigh and
riley> > riley> がまんする, but I'm being stubborn and haven't given up yet...
riley> >
riley> > I can recreate and eliminate this same error on my system.
riley> >   cow:/usr/local/netscape$ ./netscape
riley> >   Bus error
riley>
riley> Well, at least I feel better now; thought maybe I was just losing it.
riley>
riley> > The fix:
riley> >   cow:/usr/local/netscape$ cat netscape.sh
riley> >   #!/bin/sh
riley> >   export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/netscape/INSTALL/liblocale.so
riley> >   export XFILESEARCHPATH=/usr/local/netscape/Netscape
riley> >   export LANG=ja_JP.ujis
riley> >   exec /usr/local/netscape/netscape
riley>
riley> My shell script sets MOZILLA_HOME, but I couldn't find the locale.so
riley> after checking on the TLUG site. Funny, but RH sets LANG=C on the
riley> script that their rpm installs.

Dave,
the reason I suspected that it was related to setlocale and therefore
LANG was that I ran netscape through the debugger.

cow:/usr/local/netscape$ gdb
GDB 4.16.patched (i586-debian-linux),
(gdb) file /usr/local/netscape/netscape
Reading symbols from /usr/local/netscape/netscape...
(no debugging symbols found)...done.
(gdb) run
Starting program: /usr/local/netscape/netscape
(no debugging symbols found)...(no debugging symbols found)...
0x400fb3d3 in _XimSetHeader ()
(gdb)

I think I have the same question as you.  Why am I experiencing this
error when other people must be using Netscape Communictor 4.05 on
Linux and do not setlocale?  What I thought was that I had changed
my glibc6 to add wide-character support for it.  The glibc6 on my
system is patched for some extra Japanese support.  I have not tried
this on a more pristine glibc distribution.  Though, you mentioned
that you only had this problem when kinput2 was running?

riley> have you tried qscape? It doesn't have all the features built in,
riley> but it's FAST. It's in the qt home site, http://www.troll.no/ I
riley> believe.

I have not tried qscape yet.  Can it support Japanese input and display?
I'm a fan of GTk since I think the development community that is developing
the toolkit is interesting.  However, if something using the Troll Tech
widgets work better than what is available now, I would use it.

---------

 Different subject

There is a nice article on the Linux Standard Base (LSB) project
at

   http://freshmeat.net/editorials?item=ted980606

The article is written by Ted Cook, the president of Enchanced
Software Technologies, the maker of BRU.

For those of you not on the tlug-admin list, the president of
Empress is thinking of coming the TLUG meeting as a member of
the audience.  However, we're discussing whether there is enough
time to ask him to give a 15 minute introduction to the Empress
database, the commercial market for Linux.  Maybe we can ask him
to comment on the Linux Standard Base (LSB) project?  Since
we're running a pretty full schedule as it is, this idea is open
to discussion.  We have two supporters so far and no negatives.

Another thing, I'm thinking of moving the tlug-admin list over
to FML to allow much greater control of the digests.  The one
negative point is that FML does not work with eVote, so all the
voting would have to take place on the main TLUG list. Although
I could make a daily digest of tlug-admin using majordomo,
FML allows individual members to create their own custom digest.
Any member could request for a digest once per hour, for example.

Regards,
Craig

----
Craig Oda craigoda@example.com http://tlug.linux.or.jp/~craigoda (my PGP)

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station