Re: tlug: Japanese

On Sun, 7 Jun 1998 craigoda@example.com wrote:

> riley> Well, as of yet I haven't found a cure for the battle between kinput2
> riley> and NS 4.05. If kinput is running, NS dies from a bus error (no core
> riley> dump or anything useful to give a clue). Guess I could just sigh and
> riley> がまんする, but I'm being stubborn and haven't given up yet...
>
> I can recreate and eliminate this same error on my system.
>   cow:/usr/local/netscape$ ./netscape
>   Bus error

Well, at least I feel better now; thought maybe I was just losing it.

> The fix:
>   cow:/usr/local/netscape$ cat netscape.sh
>   #!/bin/sh
>   export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/netscape/INSTALL/liblocale.so
>   export XFILESEARCHPATH=/usr/local/netscape/Netscape
>   export LANG=ja_JP.ujis
>   exec /usr/local/netscape/netscape

My shell script sets MOZILLA_HOME, but I couldn't find the locale.so
after checking on the TLUG site. Funny, but RH sets LANG=C on the
script that their rpm installs.

> I then run netscape.sh instead of netscape.  I've modifed my
> app-defaults to display Japanese.  This has nothing to do with the
> bus error, it only affects display of Japanese in menus, bookmarks,
> and history.  There may be readily available app-defaults for Netscape
> now.  Mine are "just-get-it-to-work" hacks and I would prefer if you
> found one of the many readily available Japanese app-defaults for
> Netscape so I don't get embarrassed.

Getting it to work is usually good enough, considering that there
should be some better versions coming out in the near future. FWIW,
have you tried qscape? It doesn't have all the features built in,
but it's FAST. It's in the qt home site, http://www.troll.no/ I
believe.

> This is locale.c :

Great! I'll try it out tomorrow. Thanks for sharing the tips.

David Riley

Hachinohe Institute of Technology
88-1, Myo, Ohbiraki
Hachinohe-shi Aomori-ken

http://w3.clat.hi-tech.ac.jp

After June 13, the next meeting is 8 August at Tokyo Station